HRI, Inc. - History
HRI, Inc. had its beginnings in 1947 when Herbert R. Imbt started a construction business with only a few pieces of equipment. After three years of rapid growth, the company was incorporated as Herbert R. Imbt, Inc.
During the following decades, HRI, Inc., as the company was later renamed, expanded geographically to cover areas outside of State College, including much of Central, Eastern, and Western Pennsylvania. It also expanded its operations to include paving, water, sewer, airport, highway, and bridge projects, as well as asphalt plants and aggregate quarries.
Through a series of ownership changes during the late 1980s, HRI came to be a part of Hanson PLC, a major international player in the construction industry. Then, in 1999, portions of Hanson’s United States operations, including HRI’s asphalt and construction activities, were sold to Colas, Inc., another large international construction company with numerous businesses in the United States. Today, HRI benefits from being a part of a much larger organization, while still maintaining local control over its activities and its close ties to the communities where its employees live and work.
There have been many changes along the way for HRI, but some things have remained constant. The ambition, skill and leadership of our employees and a strong commitment to quality materials, workmanship, and safety continue to guide everyday operations. These are the factors that have provided years of success for HRI, and they will continue to pave the road forward for many years to come.